[postgis-users] loading shapefiles into postgis db

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Fri Mar 4 10:35:48 PST 2005

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 06:04:59PM +0000, Shaq Gbadebo wrote:
> I created the schema carried out the shp2pgsql  command. This seems to work
> fine
>
> bash-2.05b$ shp2pgsql COUNTY_region myschema.countyRegion | psql -d emmet
> NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE will create implicit sequence 'countyregion_gid_seq'
> for SERIAL column 'countyregion.gid'
> CREATE TABLE
>                                          addgeometrycolumn
> Geometry column the_geom added to table myschema.dualcar WITH a SRID of -1
> and type MULTILINESTRING
> (1 row)

Where did you get "dualcar" ??

> UNtil this appears
>
> BEGIN
> ERROR:  Relation "countyregion" does not exist
> ERROR:  current transaction is aborted, queries ignored until end of
> transaction block
>
> Does this mean I also have to create a table called countyRegion.

No, shp2pgsql sould create countyRegion for you.
Instead of piping shp2pgsql to psql directly write its output
to a file so you can see what's going on ...
Handling of case-sensitive dbms objects might be broken.
If you write shp2pgsql output to a file and then issue the
command "shp2pgsql -f <created_file> emmet" the ERROR messages
will also show line numbers, and you can show that to us.

--strk;