[postgis-users] intersection

Sean M. Montague smontague at ATSDenver.com
Fri Mar 4 13:18:04 PST 2005

I think I've figured out the problem.  Does PostGIS not intersect
polygons with holes?  If I do not use thu intersection, everything is
fine.  But if I try to intersect my city layer, with many holes, then
the select fails.

-----Original Message-----
From: postgis-users-bounces at postgis.refractions.net
[mailto:postgis-users-bounces at postgis.refractions.net] On Behalf Of Sean
M. Montague
Sent: Friday, March 04, 2005 1:03 PM
To: PostGIS Users Discussion
Subject: [postgis-users] intersection

I've successfully intersected polygons, but wonder what limitations it
has.  For instance, I've returned the dimensions of a county, adjusted
the bb to fit my embedded SVG viewBox, and used these dimensions to clip
the county layer to fill the entire viewBox.  This way I have a perfect
fit every time, discarding the rest of the state.  But now I want to add
a layer such as city boundaries or parks.  The intersection doesn't seem
to work with these layers.  I'm assuming it is because they don't fill
the entire bb, they're islands.  Is this the case?  If so is there an
alternative?  Thanks.