[postgis-users] Has anyone considered interpolation of sparse point networks?

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Thu Mar 17 09:29:02 PST 2005

If you have a look at GMT (Generic Mapping Tools) there are tools there to work
with point datasets & use triangulation or other gridding approaches to
building DEM's from the points.

GRASS can also do this but I have found GMT to be easier and faster. GRASS &
GDAL support GMT gridfiles, so once built, there are Open Source options for
importing, exporting or reformatting the DEM's.

http://gmt.soest.hawaii.edu

I have used GMT to build circumpolar (South Pole) depth contours from global
data, which are now part of a PostGIS Antarctic GIS supporting our research in
the region. I've also gridded scattered elevation data for New Zealand to
generate hillshaded geotiffs to use as backgrounds for displaying vector topo
data.

Brent Wood

Brent Wood