[postgis-users] Commercial/Large datasets MapServer/PostGIS samplesites

Gregory S. Williamson gsw at globexplorer.com
Fri Mar 18 14:10:42 PST 2005

Eduardo,

A belated response ...

Our company uses postGIS for storing data about our imagery (about 18 terabytes of image data in some 879000 separate files, growing at a rate of almost 2 terabytes a week currently), and for a fairly substantive database of vector data (detailed US streets, detailed parcels for various counties in the US, watersheds and stream and lake data for the country, flood data, etc.). Both image and vector will grow substantially as we add more data outside of the US.

Currently the Mapserver implementations are limited to a few of our customers, but in the next few months we'll be using Mapserver to serve up imagery with vector data to the general public (currently the equivalent service is running over 250k hits a day). The new service probably won't be quite that heavy at first. We are currently doing load testing and related work.

All of this used to be Informix based; cost was the main reason for migrating to Open Source.

Not sure if this is heavy enough use to reassure your customer or not.

Greg Williamson
DBA
GlobeXplorer LLC