[postgis-users] CLUSTER PostGIS table

Markus Schaber schabi at logix-tt.com
Mon Mar 21 04:49:27 PST 2005

Hi, Strk,

strk at refractions.net schrieb:

>>Does it make sense to CLUSTER the table on the geometry index (gist)?

If either your usual working set is only a small fraction of the
geographic space that your table covers, or your queries are bbox
queries that return several narby-lying geometries: yes.

>>Is there a different way to reorganise a huge table with geometry columns to get
>>better performance for spatial queries? p.s. I have 1 3D POINT geometry per
>>row.
>
> a REINDEX ?

AFAIR, Reindex just recreates the index, but does not reorganize the
date in the table itsself. Most of the index aging issues that needed a
reindex were fixed in 7.4 and 8.0.

Markus