[postgis-users] How do you use PostGIS?

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Sun May 1 06:26:50 PDT 2005

Paul Ramsey wrote:
> PostGIS'ers:
>
> The time has come again for my annual query of our list. The last time I
> asked this, about a year and a half ago, there were ~260 people on the
> list. This time, there are ~600 people. So by one metric at least we are
> growing quickly in numbers. We also have ~1200 source code downloads a
> month these days, up from ~350.
>
> Anyhow, the question is this:
>
>    "How are you using PostGIS in your organization?"
>
> I am preparing for the Open Source Geospatial conference in Minnesota
> (http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/mum/) and would like to get a feel for
> what people are doing these days with PostGIS?
>
> If you could say in your response, at a minimum:
>
> - Name of the organization

Texas A&M University, Academy for Advanced Telecommunications
Texas Mesonet
SCOOP project

> - Data being managed in the database

Weather observations and models data
Ocean observations and models data

> - How the data is being accessed / manipulated

perl, php scripts for input and manipulation, most tabular access
MapServer access for display/dissemination

> - Why you chose to use PostGIS for the application

1. It works.
2. It's less expensive than Oracle.
3. Predisposition toward open-source projects.

> And also for our edification and strategic planning:
>
> - What PostGIS feature or PostGIS-related software (not necessarily
> internal to PostGIS) would make your life much easier/better?

We're pretty happy now, but 3-D capabilities inherent in the system
would help.
Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.847.8578
Page: 979.228.0173