[postgis-users] How do you use PostGIS?

Paul Scott pscott at uwc.ac.za
Mon May 2 04:39:51 PDT 2005

>>> pramsey at refractions.net 05/01/05 6:44 AM >>>
    "How are you using PostGIS in your organization?"

If you could say in your response, at a minimum:

- Name of the organization

I am a hobbyist, but I work at the University of the Western Cape in
Cape Town South Africa (Free Software Innovation Unit)

- Data being managed in the database

Shapefile data, Some Raster Data.

I have imported the data using shp2pgsql, written a PHP class that can
do that too via a www interface, for the entire country using Government
issue Surveying and Mapping data, as well as data from private data
vendors (as proof of concept)

- How the data is being accessed / manipulated

I mostly use PHP through PEAR::DB as well as a homegrown PHP data
abstraction class (http://avoir.uwc.ac.za/projects/postgis/) to
manipulate the data. I use a mix of MySQL/PostgreSQL and PostGIS to
achieve results.

- Why you chose to use PostGIS for the application

Ability to createlang
Free
Powerful
I have had lots of experience with PostGreSQL in the past, and it seemed
like a natural progression to use software built on software I know and
love already.

And also for our edification and strategic planning:

- What PostGIS feature or PostGIS-related software (not necessarily
internal to PostGIS) would make your life much easier/better?

At the moment I feel that PostGIS fulfils all my needs.

Paul