[postgis-users] How do you use PostGIS?

Gregory S. Williamson gsw at globexplorer.com
Mon May 2 15:37:15 PDT 2005

Paul,

<snip>

>>- Name of the organization
   GlobeXplorer LLC

>>- Data being managed in the database
   * Coverage/type of the imagery (raster) we provide
   * Parcel data on a county by county basis
      (outlines, centerpoints, owner, address, zoning, price etc.)
   * US streets
   * Detailed Flood Areas
   * POIs
   * Various demographic data

>>- How the data is being accessed / manipulated
   JDBC is used by our own software to create imagery for clients
   Vector data is mostly accessed by MapServer for display
   Vector data is manipulated for loading, cleaning, etc. by perlDBI
   JUMP (java) for some viewing and analysis
   Shapefiles for loading and some improt into other map clients

>>- Why you chose to use PostGIS for the application
   Cost (hard to beat!)
   Effectiveness and good support
   Extensibility
   Standards

>>And also for our edification and strategic planning:

- What PostGIS feature or PostGIS-related software (not necessarily
internal to PostGIS) would make your life much easier/better?

   Mapserver should have better interface with postGIS; better SQL support from calls with Mapserver instead of having to create views, etc.
   As our databases grow into the many gigabyte range the issues with upgrades become more troublesome (also an issue with postgres itself)
   Perhaps better diagnostics (we are still trying to resolve certain errors that result from operations on two valid geometries); haven't fully examine the 1.0 release so this may be moot (more moot ?  mooter?)

>>Thanks so much!
>>
>>Paul

Thanks to you and all other who have worked so hard on this tool in all its evolutions (windows, solaris, linux etc.)! Truely outstanding user / developer  community !

Greg WIlliamson
DBA
GlobeXplorer LLC