[postgis-users] Uninstall or Copy ?

Markus Schaber schabi at logix-tt.com
Tue May 3 05:37:32 PDT 2005

Hi, Ezequias,

Ezequias Rodrigues da Rocha wrote:
> I have installed the version of Postgresql 8.0.0 without the sources.
>
> Now, for postgis, I need the sources. I downloaded the sources but I am
> in doubt about unistall the Postgresql or copy the sources of the
> version 8.0.0 to the proper directory.
>
> Could anyone tell me what is the correct procedure now ?
>
> What is the folder I have to unpack the postgresql source   ? (if it is
> possible )

You can unpack the postgresql source wherever you want
(/usr/src/postgresql or $HOME/workspace are common places), and you do
not have to touch your installed postgresql server at all.

The only important things are that the postgis source directory is put
into the contrib/ subdirectory, and that the postgresql sources are
configured (with identical options than the installed postgres). The
pg_config command may help you, or you get the srpm/deb-src files for
your postgresql server and use the build tree they generate, those
should be configured properly.

Markus