[postgis-users] How do you use PostGIS?

Martin Daly Martin.Daly at cadcorp.com
Thu May 5 03:12:37 PDT 2005

> - Name of the organization

Cadcorp Ltd, http://www.cadcorp.com, a nasty (but nice really), closed
source, licence-fee grabbing, GIS vendor.

> - Data being managed in the database

Our GIS software can upload any of the vector data formats that we
support (~100) into PostGIS, and can do live editing (with undo/redo and
transaction support), theming, etc., on the resulting PostGIS tables.
Recently we have been focusing on Ordnance Survey MasterMap: *the* big
driver for spatial database adoption in the UK.

As part of an OS MM benchmarking exercise, we have created tables of up
to ~60 million rows.  The resulting database, which has several tables
containing a total of ~72 million rows, is ~29Gb on disk.  A pre-LWGEOM
database containing the same data was ~39Gb.  Much as I'd like to share
the benchmark results with you, Oracle licensing precludes us from doing
so.

> - How the data is being accessed / manipulated

Using our own GIS software.

> - Why you chose to use PostGIS for the application

We want to offer alternatives to Oracle for those end-users who can't or
won't pay the Oracle licence fees (but will pay ours, of course...), so
our software treats Oracle and PostGIS as equals.

> And also for our edification and strategic planning:
>
> - What PostGIS feature or PostGIS-related software (not necessarily
> internal to PostGIS) would make your life much easier/better?

Even though I know that Paul is (very) anti this, we have had good
results with Oracle 10g GeoRaster.  A PostGIS equivalent would be nice.

Regards,
Martin