[postgis-users] How do you use PostGIS?

Robin Chauhan robin.chauhan at gmail.com
Thu May 5 08:17:02 PDT 2005

On 5/1/05, Paul Ramsey <pramsey at refractions.net> wrote:
> - Name of the organization

The CarpoolTool.com project at WPIRG (Waterloo Public Interest
Research Group in Waterloo, Ontario Canada).  Its a web-application
designed to help the public find suitable carpools, anywhere in
Canada.

> - Data being managed in the database

At this point:
 - a national postal code database
 - endpoints for people's commutes
 - popular destinations

> - How the data is being accessed / manipulated
 - using distance and bounding box queries

> - Why you chose to use PostGIS for the application

 - preference for open-source tools
 - reputation for quality
 - built on Postgres which is our database of choice
 - interfaces to other GIS software

> And also for our edification and strategic planning:
>
> - What PostGIS feature or PostGIS-related software (not necessarily
> internal to PostGIS) would make your life much easier/better?

 - network analysis!  In our case, road network analysis to find best
driving routes

> Thanks so much!
>
> Paul

You're very welcome, and many thanks to you and the team for a great product.

-Robin Chauhan