[postgis-users] Problem installing postgis 1.0.0 - libgeos.so.2:cannot open shared object file

Jean David TECHER davidtecher at yahoo.fr
Tue May 10 02:37:02 PDT 2005

as root

see if U have the line

/usr/local/lib

in file "/etc/ld.so.conf"

else add it then do

ldconfig
TECHER Jean David
01MAP
e-mail: david at 01map.net
Tél: 04 67 45 60 27
Entreprise: http://www.01map.net
Perso: http://techer.pascal.free.fr/postgis/
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Marco Lechner
  To: postgis-users at postgis.refractions.net
  Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2005 11:37 AM
  Subject: [postgis-users] Problem installing postgis 1.0.0 - libgeos.so.2:cannot open shared object file

  Hi List,

  I have problem after installing postgis 1.0.0:
  - I installed the actual version of geos (V 2.1.1 - stable)
  - After that I set LDFLAGS=-lstdc++ and compiled
  postgresql --with-perl --with-openssl and installed it succesfully
  - then I cpied the unzipped postgis-dir in the postgresql-contrib-folder of
  my postgresql-source
  - I modified Makefile.config (PROJ=1 GEOS=1)
  - I compiled postgis (make install)
  - I created a testdb (named postgis)
  - I did a createlang plpgsql postgis
   everything works so far

  but when I try:

  postgres at maas:/usr/local/pgsql> bin/psql -f share/contrib/lwpostgis.sql -d
  postgis
  Password:
  BEGIN
  NOTICE:  type "histogram2d" is not yet defined
  DETAIL:  Creating a shell type definition.
  psql:share/contrib/lwpostgis.sql:36: NOTICE:  type "histogram2d" is not yet
  defined
  DETAIL:  Creating a shell type definition.
  ERROR:  could not load library "/usr/local/pgsql/lib/liblwgeom.so.1.0":
  libgeos.so.2: cannot open shared object file: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht
  gefunden
  psql:share/contrib/lwpostgis.sql:36: ERROR:  could not load library
  "/usr/local/pgsql/lib/liblwgeom.so.1.0": libgeos.so.2: cannot open shared
  object file: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
  ERROR:  current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of
  transaction block
  psql:share/contrib/lwpostgis.sql:41: ERROR:  current transaction is aborted,
  commands ignored until end of transaction block
  ERROR:  current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of
  transaction block
  psql:share/contrib/lwpostgis.sql:49: ERROR:  current transaction is aborted,
  commands ignored until end of transaction block
  ERROR:  current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of
  transaction block
  psql:share/contrib/lwpostgis.sql:66: ERROR:  current transaction is aborted,
  commands ignored until end of transaction block
  ERROR:  current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of
  transaction block
  psql:share/contrib/lwpostgis.sql:71: ERROR:  current transaction is aborted,
  commands ignored until end of transaction block
  ERROR:  current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of
  transaction block
  psql:share/contrib/lwpostgis.sql:78: ERROR:  current transaction is aborted,
  commands ignored until end of transaction block

  it doesn't add the postgis-functions to my database
   What's wrong ??

  I also added /usr/locyl/pgsql/lib to my /etc/ld.so.conf and did a
  /sbin/ldconfig
  still got the same problem

  Marco

  P.S. system is a SuSE-Linux 8.2