[postgis-users] postgis_restore.pl patch to pass use strict;

James Marca jmarca at translab.its.uci.edu
Wed May 18 14:30:21 PDT 2005

Hi
At approximately Wed, May 18, 2005 at 10:39:26AM +0200, strk at refractions.net wrote:
> Hi James,
> I applied your patch, but before committing it can you remind
> me the considerations you're talking about?

Well, by the phrase "for your considertation", I mean that you
(plural) are in charge of committing and/or rejecting, so please
examine (consider) my patch, and do with it as you will.

> The eval part is there to allow a bourne
> shell to run the script using perl interpreter (thus permitting
> different installation paths for perl). `use strict' should be
> *after* the eval for the thing to work.

Okay, thanks, I learned something new about cross platform
programming.  Actually, I originally hacked the program to let me
access my db server under a different db user name without having to
ssh and/or set environment variables.  Then I tried to back up my
changes into smaller patches so that I could submit them.  I forgot to
checkout CVS and diff against that.  Again, I was working with upgrading
my own system, and trying to contribute back my changes, rather than
setting out from the start to improve things.

I will try to checkout CVS and compare things when I get a chance,
possibly next week.

James