[postgis-users] HTML Mails

Bill Binko bill at binko.net
Tue May 24 08:50:46 PDT 2005

On Tue, 24 May 2005, Gino Lucrezi wrote:

> > However, this is an e-mail list, not a Usenet Newsgroup bulletin board.
>
> I agree. Having this mailing list available as a newsgroup, too, would be great.
> All the postgreSQL mailing lists can also be read on their news server.
> They also host mailing lists of other projects (e.g. pgAdmin III), so maybe they could do it for postGIS, too.
>
> Having it available as a newsgroup, too, would really have helped me to use this mailing list better.

Ok, I've been staying out of this one, but I need to jump in here.

If you want to read this mailing list as a newsgroup, just use GMANE:

http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.mapserver.user

They gateway the list to NNTP.

If you want it online in a web-log version, they have that to.

If you want to search the archives without using UMN's horrible list
manager (no offense guys), you can do that.

Here is an RSS feed from GMANE:

http://rss.gmane.org/messages/excerpts/gmane.comp.gis.mapserver.user

This is true for a huge number of mailing lists.  Just go to "Reading" and
search for gmane.comp.gis.

Now, it is very possible that this list does not play nice with people
posting from GMANE: I have seen that before.  And if that is in fact true,
fixing it would be a welcome improvement.

However, there's no reason to change the basic nature of this excellent
resource that's working very well.

Bill