[postgis-users] Re: Error in SPATIAL_REF_SYS table

Barend Köbben kobben at itc.nl
Wed Nov 9 05:11:21 PST 2005

Thanks Bart for the tip, but...

I tried it and although it generaly works and is indeed better then the fixed table in some aspects, it does not solve my problem as I found out the EPSG database actually holds the wrong projection for the Rijksdriehoeksstelsel (Dutch National Grid)!

Worse, it introduces a second problem:
I use the Safe Software FME translations to get data from ArcGIS to PostGIS, but the conversion fails, because the FME engine cannot INSERT in a view... The cause is that the ArcGIS RijksDriehoekstelsel is the correct one, and thus not the same as the EPSG srid 28992. FME then breaks, in the sense that it tries to create a USER entry in the table, which fails because it cannot INSERT into a View. I do not think that Patrick van Laake has to worry about that too much, as I find the FME translator having many other quirks and strange behaviours, so before it's really usefull  they/I  need to address these first.

FYI: FME  doesn't create a primary key, making PostGIS unstable and the attribute data unreachable from ArcGIS, and when it CAN write to the spatial_ref_sys it seems to ignore any  user-defined SRS it created itself [sic!] and just inserts something like LOCAL_CS["NonEarth_Meter",UNIT["METER",1]]...

To be continued...

Barend Köbben
International Institute for Geo-information
Sciences and Earth Observation (ITC)
PO Box 6, 7500AA Enschede (The Netherlands)
ph: +31 (0)53 4874253; fax: +31 (0)53 4874335