[postgis-users] Arc integration

Abe Gillespie abe.gillespie at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 08:26:05 PST 2005

In my opinion PostGIS is the OSS analog of ArcSDE.  Others would argue
that they are not the same sort of software.

I think PostGIS has the potential of supplanting ArcSDE.
Unfortunately connecting PostGIS to the ESRI world is still not there
yet.  I've been doing work on a project to do just this.  Check it
out:

http://avoir.uwc.ac.za/projects/ziggis/

It's still got a ways to go, but I can read / display / query PostGIS
layers completely in my development setup.  I'm working hard to get an
easily installable version of this but I probably still need about 1
or 2 months more of work for the read-only version.  There are plans
to have a writable version, but that's pretty far out of immediate
reach.

-Abe