[postgis-users] Input on upgrade to GIS database

Sears, Jeremy Jeremy.Sears at CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca
Thu Nov 17 08:37:58 PST 2005

Onyx,

I have recently preformed a simmilar task. In the name of experimentation I
had tried a coupla methods to move data from an older PostgreSQL(8.0.2) +
PostGIS install to a new one (postgresql 8.1 and postgis 1.0.4). The older
database dumped data into a sql loader file. This was then loaded into the
new database via 'psql -f datafile.sql'. This method seems to have worked
although I did notice a couple of errors fly by as the data loaded. . . Note
that the new database is still in the testing phase and errors could exist
that I havent noticed yet.. however so far so good.

Jeremy

-----Original Message-----
From: postgis-users-bounces at postgis.refractions.net
[mailto:postgis-users-bounces at postgis.refractions.net]On Behalf Of Onyx
Sent: November 17, 2005 11:01 AM
To: postgis-users at postgis.refractions.net
Subject: [postgis-users] Input on upgrade to GIS database

PostGIS Friends,
I need some help/input on the proper approach to upgrading on GIS-driven
database backend, and I am hoping that some of you have been in similar
situations.  We run a PostgreSQL database with Proj, Geos, and (of course)
PostGIS libraries.  I want to upgrade the following:

- PostgreSQL 7.4.6      --> 8.1.0
- Geos 2.1.0            --> 2.1.4
- PostGIS 0.9.0         --> 1.0.4

What is the proper approach to get this done successfully, keeping our
existing data intact?  I know that it is not as simple as 1) dumping the
schema & data from the database to a file, 2) moving/deleting PostgreSQL
7.4.6 (and old libraries), 3) installing PostgreSQL 8.1.0 (and the new
libraries), and 4) feeding the schema & data back in, although I wish it
were that easy.  I have read the section of the PostGIS manual on upgrading,
but I am worried that there are some other aspects I need to know since I
have other variables I am upgrading as well (PostgreSQL & Geos).  Has anyone
been in my boat before?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

- Onyx
---
Onyx Mueller
Software Engineer
i-cubed : information integration & imaging LLC
201 Linden Street : Third Floor
Fort Collins, CO  80524
970-482-4400 voice
970-482-4499 fax