[postgis-users] Input on upgrade to GIS database

Darren Houston dhouston at beyondcompliance.ca
Thu Nov 17 11:20:24 PST 2005

Hello Onyx,

If like me and you don't have custom functions, schema, etc. and only have a
couple of tables with data, I found the easiest way to do an upgrade is to
dump the tables, upgrade your database, and load the tables. I also dump and
load the geometry_columns table and then run fix_geometry_columns(). I always
use a new spatial_ref_sys table from the upgrade. VACUUM ANALYZE and you
should be good to go. I keep the old database kicking around just in case I
need to start it up again to grab something I forgot. I hear
postgis_restore.pl works, but I haven't used it.

Darren H.