[postgis-users] Making shp2pgsql using iconv in /usr/local?

Larry Shaffer larry at shafferinteractive.com
Mon Nov 28 16:14:10 PST 2005

Hi,

Just wondering, is there is a way to set the prefix path for the
requested iconv library when doing a make of the shp2pgsql utility? I
would like to have the utility support utf-8.

I have a new version of iconv installed in /usr/local and don't want to
use the /usr copy of iconv, because anything below local is the 'managed'
part of my managed Debian Linux server from a provider - and I don't want
to mess with it. I have root access, but have agreed to install only at
the /usr/local level. I have successfully installed PostGIS without the
iconv support.

I'm not a Debian guru, but I'm sure there is a way to tell the compiler
to link to the /usr/local copy of iconv somewhere in the make file, or
when running make. Any ideas?

Also, if I can successfully use the /usr/local iconv install to make the
shp2pgsql utility, will I have to re-compile PostGIS as well? Or, can I
just re-make the utility after PostGIS has been installed?

Thanx

--
Larry