[postgis-users] Re: SRS WKT >>> srid?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Oct 19 06:33:27 PDT 2005

On 10/19/05, Patrick <pvanlaake at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Insofar as standards go, OGC is an interoperability standard and it does not
> prescribe any particular underlying format. It would be very valid to have
> all the CRS information in a number of base tables and then a single view
> that implements the OGC spatial_ref_sys table and which draws its
> information from the base tables, assembling it into WKT using some
> function. That would allow savvy programmers to efficiently query the CRS
> components while still providing for the discovery and cataloguing services
> that OGC mandates.

Patrick,

The EPSG folks now provide SQL dumps of their database with the intent
that it could be easily loaded into a variety of databases.  I would suggest
you fetch those and try loading them into postgresql.

There is no need for the PostGIS team itself to provide
this sort of auxilary coordinate system table support directly.
They have quite a bit on their table already. :-)

Best regards,