[postgis-users] Out Of Memory Error on GiST Index

Martin Daly Martin.Daly at cadcorp.com
Wed Sep 7 04:53:29 PDT 2005

> > He had offered to debug remotely, but we are on Windows only.
>
> Maybe rdesktop can help in this, we use it with a win2k3 server for
> nearly all of our windows work (mostly testing of web apps
> against IE).

We use RDP extensively too.  However, this was more of an institutional
problem (our MD being paranoid about our source code), and a practical
one (no source code or development environment on that machine).

Anyway, strk has found and fixed the leak without needing the data.  We
were able to index a table containing ~425,000,000 simplified geometries
(points, two-point linestrings, bounding box rectangles) in less than 11
hours.  We're currently indexing the "real" geometry.

I'll pass on some upload performance statistics when we've got a 1.0.4
RC.  I can report that retrieving small areas of the big upload is
*fast*.