[postgis-users] Gentoo/Debian Packages using 1.1.0CVS?

david techer davidtecher at yahoo.fr
Thu Sep 15 03:52:37 PDT 2005

Hi Mark,

I think my friend Gerald FENOY will answer U as soon as possible.

I hope I don't make mistake...So excuse-me I'll say something wrong

So Why using 1.1.0CVS instead of 1.0.X?

Because 1.1.0CVS, as U know doesn't require PostgreSQL Sources...

On Gentoo If U already have PostgerSQL installed with example thanks to
emerge command

when U want to compil/build postgis 1.0.X U will have to download again
PostgreSQL sources
and to compil it again.

(emerge requires it automatically..) before compiling PostGIS.

So it seems not to be interesting to have to compil PostgreSQL one more
times if U have a binary distrib already installed...This is the technic
from series 1.0.X of PostGIS

Whereas with 1.1.0CVS, PostGIS doesn't need PostgreSQL sources..So in
Gentoo, emerge only PostGIS 1.1.0 CVS
by CVS or tarball....U have to compil it and install it. It doesn't
require a second PostgerSQL download, compil, install and so on....

By the way since Gerald FENOY automatically does a postgis 1.1.0 cvs
tarball
when he want to build a PosTGIS ebuild for Gentoo...

I hope what I said is enough understandable :-)

Regards David