[postgis-users] trying to debug segmentation violation

Jessica M Salmon jmsalmon at fs.fed.us
Wed Sep 21 09:03:34 PDT 2005

A plpsql function I wrote is starting to occasionally kick me off with a
signal 11 error code. It seems to occur while calculating a 300m buffer
around the transformed point
transform(geomfromewkt('SRID=4326;POINT(-118.335235595703
36.8628845214844)', 102008)  When I do this at the command line (from the
same geometry in memory as the function was accessing), it gives a result
just fine. The function calculates thousands upon thousands of these just
fine, but objects to this one and one other.

I have two questions:
1) How can I obtain more information on where exactly the segV is
occurring? I know where it happens in my code, but since it seems to happen
in a geos function, I cannot use print statements to get any more detail.
2) What are the common causes of this sort of error?

Thanks for any responses,
Meghan