[postgis-users] trying to debug segmentation violation

Jessica M Salmon jmsalmon at fs.fed.us
Wed Sep 21 10:27:54 PDT 2005

Mark,

>Unfortunately an intermittent Signal 11 tends to indicate a hardware
problem, normally bad memory.

It is intermittent in that it happens only on a small percentage of the
data, but it happens very consistently only on these points. This suggests
to me that bad memory cannot be responsible. But I am downloading memtest86
to try tonight, just in case.

Thanks for your input.

-Meghan

             "Mark
             Cave-Ayland"
             <m.cave-ayland at we                                          To
             bbased.co.uk>             "'PostGIS Users Discussion'"
             Sent by:                  <postgis-users at postgis.refractions.
             postgis-users-bou         net>
             nces at postgis.refr                                          cc
             actions.net
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: [postgis-users] trying to debug
             09/21/2005 10:46          segmentation violation
             AM

             Please respond to
               PostGIS Users
                Discussion
             <postgis-users at po
             stgis.refractions
                   .net>

Hi Meghan,

Unfortunately an intermittent Signal 11 tends to indicate a hardware
problem, normally bad memory. If you are using an x86 processor, then it's
worth letting memtest86 (http://www.memtest86.com/) run overnight to see if
it finds any errors, and if so, replace the faulty module and see if the
problem still occurs.

Kind regards,

Mark.

WebBased Ltd