[postgis-users] when rasters in Postgis?

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Sun Sep 25 14:37:44 PDT 2005

Giorgio Plazzotta wrote:

[snip]

> but i am glad also to partecipate at a
> discussion about the advantages and disadvantages of inserting the data
> inside the geodatabase or leave them as external files.

I think both cases of raster data in the database and data outside the
database are needed. This speaks to having a raster object and a raster
reference object that might be equivalent expect one stores the data and
one maintains a reference to a file.

> I tried to ask
> the list before about the performance difference between splitting a
> large vector file into several tiles managed through a tileindex or
> inserting it inside postgis, but nobody answered.

I know the answer to this :) It will depend on your usage. Mapserver is
fastest serving tiled shapefiles. So if you just need to serve maps you
are probably better off using shapefiles, but if you need to do other
operations on the vector data then PostGIS might offer some significant
benefits. If you want to do thematic mapping you have to have your
layers that will be rendered in PostGIS, but all layers do not need to
be in PostGIS. While having the data in PostGIS it also opens the door
to performing other types of geo-spatial computations, but if you never
plan to take advantage of them in a production environment, you need to
ask is it worth it.

For example, I put the polygon layers that I want to style thematically
in PostGIS and keep all my highways and streets in shapefiles. This way
I get the best of both.

-Steve