[postgis-users] Re: Re: when rasters in Postgis?

Patrick pvanlaake at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Sep 28 09:43:27 PDT 2005

<strk at refractions.net> wrote in message
news:20050928155142.GA51082 at keybit.net...
> As a user I'm not against storing rasters in the database.
> As a developer I don't immediately see the "right" way to do it.

I suppose that the general tendency here is to "yes, let's do it", but with
a "geez, how do we do that". That's good for two reasons. First, I would
really consider PostGIS as a backend for my data storage if it does. And
second, doing this requires more than just sticking 2D data in tiles the
size of the db page.

> That said, Refractions' development plans do not currently include
> raster support, but PostGIS source code is available to anyone
> for using, adapting and sharing. Get involved.

This is of course the cheap way to end the discussion. I understand that
Refractions may not have the manpower available to do this singlehandedly,
but if you guys could just facilitate the process by acting as focal point
for discussion of specs and general guidance that would be great. I am more
than willing to help out, both in design and in implementation, but I just
by myself could not so easily generate the momentum and developer clout to
bring it to fruition. Because this does take some serious thinking, to
develop the complete specs from logical construct (what is a raster?) to db
schema, and then implement it.

Any serious takers? Contact me in private.

Cheers,
Patrick