[postgis-users] Rasters

Obe, Regina DND\MIS robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Thu Sep 29 09:26:32 PDT 2005

What was the chip thing that we have already in the database.  I thought
those were designed for storing raster data in postgis granted I haven't had
a reason to store raster data myself and the concept seemed a little
complicated to load to implement.

Actually the only benefits I can see for storing raster data in the database
is

1) primarily to centralize storage of gis data - becuause keeping up with
network paths is kind of cumbersome.

2) to create a dispenser of raster data to anyone in the organization who
needs it.

For example the pgsql2shp is very nice because I can give people a small set
of files to copy to run it, a sample batchscript and they can dump out
select geographical regions they want for their purposes.

Something similar for raster would be nice like a pgsql2raster that would
say dump out a geotiff of a selected region would be nice.