[postgis-users] Re: Re: rasters in PostGIS...

Chapman, Martin MChapman at sanz.com
Fri Sep 30 17:07:08 PDT 2005

Patrick,

Those are good comments and I agree.  I think maybe the optimal solution
would be if you could configure the database to work in either mode.
One mode to store rasters in the DB, one to store rasters outside the
DB, or perhaps even a mixed mode.  There seems to be valid arguments for
each case.  In any case, I think the discussion is an important one
since efficient use and management of rasters are fundamental to any
complete GIS solution these days, and I personally see
PostGIS/PostgreSQL as a major player both currently and in the future of
Spatially enabled databases.

On another note, I also think it would be interesting for the PostGIS
people to entertain the concept of de-coupling some of the processes
related to raster ingest/management/analysis to be separate executables
that could run from different servers in order to off-load some of the
processing from the database server.  An example of this would be a
program that creates raster overviews on another server and then once
finished, inserts the pyramids into the database.  That way, you could
run your long running ingestion processes without affecting the
performance of your database for other users.  Other examples, would be
backups and raster processes like mosaicking.  I'm not sure if that is
possible today, but if not I think that would help improve the
scalability of the database.  Just food for thought.

Martin