[postgis-users] points in polygon

Markus Schaber schabi at logix-tt.com
Mon Apr 3 06:28:48 PDT 2006

Hi, Young Kim,

Young Kim wrote:
> I tried with smaller cities, and they run in good time.
> "santa monica" runs in 130 ms.
>
> Is it then the area that i'm joining against is too large or too complex?

It may be - how many vertices does the Polygon have?

If it is too large / to complex, it may help to split it into smaller
polygons, using a chessboard-like pattern.

Thus you get lots of smaller polygons (where the intersects / contains
does work much faster), and the && operator and index helps to find the
right mini-polygon quickly

HTH,
Markus