[postgis-users] Voronoi / Dalaunay function (solved)

Mike Leahy mgleahy at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Apr 5 03:13:22 PDT 2006

Hello again,

I figured out how to make the voronoi calculations work more
efficiently.  Rather than building rectangles based on the distance
between bisector lines and the neighbouring points, I rewrote the script
to expand the bisector lines into squares whose size is dependant on the
buffer threshold chosen, such that there are no gaps between the
rectangles associated with each neighbour point.  This worked great, as
it produced a single voronoi polygon for each point, and eliminated any
precision error reported by geos.  However, I then noticed tiny holes
between the polygons at their corners.  It dawned on me (somewhat
belatedly) that this was due to precision error based on the fact that
the buffer function only approximates curves, and therefore the
intersections between different buffers wouldn't provide precise
coordinates.

To fix this, I dropped the method of intersecting buffers.  Instead, I
just find the midpoint between each point and each of its
neighbours...calculate the endpoints of a line extending from that point
to bisect the space between the points (producing a more exact version
of the line obtained from intersected buffer rings), then I build
squares on the neighbour-side of these lines as before.  These
neighbour-squares are then unioned, and subtracted from a buffer around
the central point.  So far, I've had no precision errors from geos, and
I can't see any holes between the resulting polygons.  The processing is
also slightly faster.

I've attached a new version of the sql that does this to this email.
I'm fairly sure this script could be reworked to be much more
computationally efficient - I'm pretty sure my code is doing a great
deal of redundant calculations as it is now, but the results are fine
and are relatively fast for small datasets.  I'm sure that this would be
easily scriptable either as a standalone executable, or maybe even as a
function in PostGIS if someone with a better mind for that were to take
it on.

Regards,
Mike