[postgis-users] Win32 testers required: shp2pgsql with -W encoding switch

Mark Cave-Ayland m.cave-ayland at webbased.co.uk
Mon Apr 10 02:13:44 PDT 2006

Hi everyone,

I'm currently in the middle of rewriting the build system I use to produce
the Win32 EXE installers for the 1.1.2 release, and I've managed to devise a
patch that will allow shp2pgsql to compile with the -W (encoding) switch
available under Win32 (see this thread here for more information
http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-users/2006-January/010798.h
tml).

AFAICT the patch works and I can specify an encoding on the command line,
however I don't have a comprehensive set of shapefiles in different
encodings to fully test this. Therefore I was hoping that some of the people
in the above thread could help by downloading a test binary from the URL
below and making sure that it all works as it should.

The binary is a replacement for shp2pgsql.exe supplied with PostGIS 1.1.1;
I'd recommend that you rename the old version before extracting the ZIP file
so that it is possible to revert to the original version. Testing under both
the PG 8.0 and 8.1 installers would be very helpful.

	http://www.webbased.co.uk/mca/tmp/shp2pgsql.zip

Note that with this patch, shp2pgsql.exe now has a dependency on
libiconv-2.dll - fortunately we do not currently need to distribute this
extra DLL since the official PostgreSQL installer automatically places it in
the Windows System directory. As usual, please direct any feedback towards
the lists.

Many thanks,

Mark.

------------------------
WebBased Ltd
17 Research Way
Plymouth
PL6 8BT

T: +44 (0)1752 797131
F: +44 (0)1752 791023

http://www.webbased.co.uk
http://www.infomapper.com
http://www.swtc.co.uk

This email and any attachments are confidential to the intended recipient
and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please
delete it from your system and notify the sender. You should not copy it or
use it for any purpose nor disclose or distribute its contents to any other
person.