[postgis-users] Calculate the distance

gates jr mr_gates_jr at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 5 16:47:57 PDT 2006

I’m Gates, a university student. I got two problems:
     I have a table called “state_point table”. I calculate the distance between a new point to all point in my table with query:

  CREATE TABLE distance AS
  SELECT distance(state_point.the_geom, geomfromtext('POINT(100000 200000)',-1)) AS distance, state_id, state_name
  FROM state_point
  order by distance

  My Question is : what measure unit that’s return by this query? Meters? Miles? Or another? If it’s not in meters how could I convert it to meters?

     I want to make user interface in VB.NET 2005, which driver or connection should I use to show my map? Is there any VB.net or another language samples, which use postgreSQL/postgis database, that I can access in the internet? (a link site? ) I’m a kind of people that learn by example.

  Thank

  Gates