[postgis-users] showing the distribution of locations from a table on a world's map

XorX xorx iamxorx at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 6 01:13:36 PDT 2006

I've a table with locations from around the world, I'd like to show a kind
of "index map" that allows users to see the world with an overlay of
rectangular areas on it showing the number of locations existing inside each
area. I was thinking in drawing the gist index bounding boxes as those
rectangular areas and write some SQL to count the number of locations that
fall within and then draw each area and its number of locations on the map.

Do you think this is a good approach or are some simpler or better way to do
that? Actually I don't know if getting the gist bounding boxes is possible.

Thanks much.
Jordi