[postgis-users] Calculate the distance

Markus Schaber schabi at logix-tt.com
Mon Aug 7 08:05:25 PDT 2006

Hi, Gates,

gates jr wrote:

> My Question is : what measure unit that’s return by this query? Meters?
> Miles? Or another? If it’s not in meters how could I convert it to meters?

Its the original unit of your coordinates, which might be rather
meanlingless depending on your original coordinate system.

To get meaningful values, you can either:

- Reproject to a metric coordinate system
- use distance_spheroid
- use distance_sphere (faster, but approximates, and works only for
long/lat based coordinate systems)

HTH,
Markus