[postgis-users] PostGIS - hibernate - EJB3

Markus Schaber schabi at logix-tt.com
Sat Aug 19 01:07:07 PDT 2006

Hi, Norman,

Norman Barker wrote:

> I am doing this as part of the OSGEO Geodata project - but I agree its
> home is in postgis for this part, I wanted to give it as free a license
> as possible - does MIT or BSD sound fine to you, or even Apache - I
> personally have no problems with LGPL (JBoss has this license), but
> other companies do.

At least the so-called "revised" BSD License should be fine (the same
PostgreSQL uses), but the old BSD License and the Apache License are
currently not compatible with the GPL.

Note also that someone who has problems with LGPL will not be able to
use the org.postgis.* classes you wrap, as those are LGPL, and are
unlikely to change to a more liberal license. (The rest of PostGIS is GPL.)

> I will package it all up with docs and an ejb deployer and sent it to
> you in the near future (within 2 weeks).

Thanks a lot!
Markus