[postgis-users] AddGeometryColumn problem

Bruno Patini Furtado bpfurtado at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 11:43:21 PDT 2006

Hi,
I've just installed PostgreSQL 8.1.4 without the GIS extensions and after
that installed the postgis-pg81-setup-1.1.3-1.exe from
http://postgis.refractions.net/download/windows/. ]

Everything went fine but when I try to run the SQL statements generated by
the shp2pgsql program, the error message "ERROR:  current transaction is
aborted, commands ignored until end of transaction block" is reported.

I've tried to run only the create table statement, but the same error
message was reported.
So I've changed:
CREATE TABLE "gis_test"."brazil_tiled2" (gid serial PRIMARY KEY,
"location" varchar(255));
To:
CREATE TABLE gis_test.brazil_tiled
(
  "location" varchar,
  gid serial NOT NULL,
  CONSTRAINT brazil_tiled_pk PRIMARY KEY (gid)
)
WITHOUT OIDS;
ALTER TABLE gis_test.brazil_tiled OWNER TO postgres;

But even so the same error message is reported when I only submit the
following SQL statement:

SELECT
AddGeometryColumn('gis_test','brazil_tiled2','the_geom','-1','MULTIPOLYGON',2);

I must be doing something very wrong.

Any Hints/suggestions would be most appreciated!

--
"Minds are like parachutes, they work best when open."

Bruno Patini Furtado
Software Developer
webpage: http://bpfurtado.net
software development blog: http://bpfurtado.livejournal.com