[postgis-users] Raster Support...

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Fri Aug 25 09:28:02 PDT 2006

On 25-Aug-06, at 7:14 AM, Stephen Marshall wrote:

> Regarding Paul Ramsey's comment on funding a geo-raster effort,
> what resources are needed?  Are we talking about gathering together
> volunteer programmers willing to donate their time, or does this
> need to be contract work awarded to Refractions?  If the latter,
> what kind of dollar amounts (rough order of magnitude) would be
> necessary to get a geo-raster effort off the ground?

I think some funding, or some serious commitment on the part of one
volunteer are needed for a start, to define a data model for geo-
raster that we want to use, and implement some of the basic aspect of
it.  After that, a list of functions "to be done" and a priority
order would be sufficient to seed volunteer effort -- assuming such
effort exists?  After a couple months of existing on the "Wish List"
wiki, the trivial "AsKML()" function remains unimplemented... so it
seems we have very few "just for the love of it" volunteers.  (AsSVG
() was a community contribution.  AsGML() we did ourselves.)

The main thing that jumped out at me when we last had a thread on the
topic was how many different models people had of what "georaster"
is.  Perhaps the simplest solution is "georaster is what oracle says
it is".