[postgis-users] Raster Support...

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Aug 25 10:06:32 PDT 2006

Paul Ramsey wrote:
> I think some funding, or some serious commitment on the part of one
> volunteer are needed for a start, to define a data model for geo-raster
> that we want to use, and implement some of the basic aspect of it.
> After that, a list of functions "to be done" and a priority order would
> be sufficient to seed volunteer effort -- assuming such effort exists?
> After a couple months of existing on the "Wish List" wiki, the trivial
> "AsKML()" function remains unimplemented... so it seems we have very few
> "just for the love of it" volunteers.

Paul,

Or perhaps the folks who love PostGIS just don't love the idea of AsKML()
so much?

> The main thing that jumped out at me when we last had a thread on the
> topic was how many different models people had of what "georaster" is.
> Perhaps the simplest solution is "georaster is what oracle says it is".

I am personally nervous about contributing a lot to such an effort without
a better sense of how rasters are handled in other RDBMS type systems.
I would like to do GeoRaster support for GDAL at some point, and then I
might have more to offer.  We don't necesarily have to work like the
GeoRaster but I would want to understand it well before adopting or
dismissing it.

Best regards,