[postgis-users] Raster Support...

Alan alankeown at southernphone.com.au
Fri Aug 25 13:28:24 PDT 2006

Hi all,
New guy, first post - not much PostGIS experience but a lot of interest and
a lot of Arc(insertModuleNameHere) experience.

Raster is not just a format - it is, in effect, a GEOMETRY TYPE that models
"chunks" of a surface very effectively and efficiently.

What's "data-basey" about it? In a word: "indexing". Why should I have to
load a 3GB file into my GDI just to query a couple of hundred pixels
surrounding a particular vector? (If my base heights com from a DEM or TIN
or, (insert name of significant deity) forbid, a point cloud, and I have
building footprints with roof elevations I don't want to load the whole
raster to get a Building Height-Above-Ground.

What if all I wanted was just to access a "value" at one particular
location? What if I didn't want to "see" the raster, just use its "data"?

Also, I work in the Emergency Services / Homeland Security area and pictures
(as well as all kinds of other rasters) are a BIG TIME requirement so
management and relationships to other features becomes critical.

The other thing I've realised over the years that every vector becomes a
raster before we can see it (either on the screen or on paper). Since GIS
has (at least) two parts - Analysis & Visualisation - getting control of the
raster can only be a good thing.

Cheers
AlanK