[postgis-users] Raster Support...

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Fri Aug 25 14:26:33 PDT 2006

Rasters are already indexed, they are perfectly regular grids.  Any
binary on-disk format will allow you to dereference a value or set of
values from the raster without any searching or scanning or loading
into memory required.

Now, raster-in-the-database would allow SQL access to the contents of
a raster, which some developers may find handy, since it abstracts
away the development details necessary to, for example, use the
Python/GDAL scripting interface to read values directly out of
rasters.  Again, as an integration environment, there are some
positive aspects available: learn one language (SQL), get a whole
pile of analytical and data access tools in exchange.

P.