[postgis-users] Re: Re: Proposed SQL interface for PGRaster

Patrick pvanlaake at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Dec 6 05:08:52 PST 2006

"Mark Cave-Ayland" <mark.cave-ayland at ilande.co.uk> wrote in message
news:1165409782.5590.40.camel at mca-desktop...
> On Wed, 2006-12-06 at 12:58 +0100, Patrick wrote:
>
>> Hi Mark,
>>
>> Endianness of the data is of no concern on the DB side. It only becomes
>> an
>> issue on the application side. I would suggest to leave the storage
>> layout
>> up to the application creating the raster and have an attribute
>> indicating
>> the endianness. This implies that the application will have to do any
>> required conversion, but I expect many data-user applications to be on
>> the
>> same platform as data-producer applications.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Patrick
>

> Hi Patrick,
>
> Are you sure? What about the proposed raster to raster transformations?

Hi Mark,

Well, you got me there! However, as you wrote in another post in this thread
"A quick scan of the GDAL API hints that GDAL itself converts between
file/native data types when returning raster bands as C arrays." This IMHO
is true of all client-side applications that can access a variety of
formats, so I see the endianness not as an issue, but as a property of the
data. All processing code, client-side and server-side, should be able to
convert endian order, rather than impose a restriction on the design.

Cheers,
Patrick