[postgis-users] SpatialEJB3: (PostGIS and Hibernate)

Norman Barker nbarker at ittvis.com
Tue Dec 12 00:54:45 PST 2006

Hi,

Glad you like the idea!  PostGIS does all the work though :-), and there
have been some good bug reports and questions from users as well.

In conclusion;

There have been quite a few users of the EJB3 Geometry annotations, but
they are split between JBoss users, and pure Hibernate/Spring users - it
works well in either environment.  Since it is possible to mark a
property of an entity as @Geometry and then have it persist and retrieve
from PostGIS then the investigation was a success, and I am using it in
more projects (and once my current deadlines are out of the way, I want
to do some more to the codebase).

The incorporation of spatial functions into hql and ejb-ql is I believe
the next step, but quite a major undertaking.  Certainly at the moment
you could achieve the same functionality with
entitymanager.createNativeQuery for example (which I use to run vacuum
analyze).

Let me know if you have any questions, and do post more details about
your project, there have been some interesting use cases.

Thanks,

Norman