[postgis-users] SpatialEJB3: (PostGIS and Hibernate)

Andrew Hughes azza at lisasoft.com
Sun Dec 17 21:48:04 PST 2006

Thanks for the reply....

I have checked out the EJB3Spatial source from SVN:
http://svn.refractions.net/postgis/trunk/java/ejb3/

Now, I am presuming that this requires the JBoss IDE? since it doesn't
build with Eclipse.... and I can't see this anywhere in the tutorial.

The JBoss plugins are in total 119Mb.... which is rather painful and
slow... it would be rather helpful if the binaries where available for
direct download.

When I finally get this downloaded I'll hopefully make some good progress :)

Norman Barker wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Glad you like the idea! PostGIS does all the work though J, and there
> have been some good bug reports and questions from users as well.
>
> In conclusion;
>
> There have been quite a few users of the EJB3 Geometry annotations,
> but they are split between JBoss users, and pure Hibernate/Spring
> users – it works well in either environment. Since it is possible to
> mark a property of an entity as @Geometry and then have it persist and
> retrieve from PostGIS then the investigation was a success, and I am
> using it in more projects (and once my current deadlines are out of
> the way, I want to do some more to the codebase).
>
> The incorporation of spatial functions into hql and ejb-ql is I
> believe the next step, but quite a major undertaking. Certainly at the
> moment you could achieve the same functionality with
> entitymanager.createNativeQuery for example (which I use to run vacuum
> analyze).
>
> Let me know if you have any questions, and do post more details about
> your project, there have been some interesting use cases.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Norman

Regards,

*Andrew Hughes*