[postgis-users] postgis.jar file does not contain latest geometry types

Markus Schaber schabi at logix-tt.com
Wed Dec 13 04:44:00 PST 2006

Hello Ken,

Ken Southerland <southerland at samsix.com> wrote:

> It seems the postgis.jar file is lagging the development of the new curve
> types for postgis 1.2.

Yes, it is lagging.

I'm currently the main maintainer of the java code, and I heard about
the curve types when I read the postgis 1.2 announcement. :-)

> ... I am willing to upgrade the java code, adding and editing the necessary
> classes, if I had information as to how the binary data is stored.

The same for me, I'm afraid that the best documentation is the C code,
currently.

So, maybe, some documentation contribution (replacing doc/ZMSgeoms.txt
with a full featured EWKB description) is more important than the java
code, as all other client interface writers (python geotypes, qgis,
gdal etc.) depend on that documentation, too.

> What is
> the process for contributing to this project or is someone else working on
> this already?

Just annonce that you're working on it on the postgis-devel list (to
avoid having several people working on the same issue), and then send
patches to that list.

I don't know of anyone else currently working on that issue.

Actually, there are several different open problems:

- Updating the org.postgis.* classes by adding the new geometry types
and tweaking the old ones (should be relatively straightforward)

- Updating the java2d mapping.

- Updating the JTS mapping. The main problem here is that, currently,
JTS does not support those extended types at all, AFAIK.

Regards,
Markus

www.nosoftwarepatents.org