[postgis-users] GEOS 3.0.0 RC3

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Fri Dec 15 04:04:25 PST 2006

Hi Mark,

Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-12-14 at 21:04 +0100, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
>> Rob Tester wrote:
>>> Have the build problems with windows been addressed?
>
> I still can't build under MingW; I've posted the relevant output here in
> case someone finds it useful:
> http://www.ilande.co.uk/tmp/geos-3.0.0rc3-error.txt. It's related to the
> inlines, but my C++-Fu is not particularly strong...

I'm not a MinGW user, so I suppose I can't help, but I suppose the
problem is with configuration of inlining scheme used in GEOS.

>> Yesterday, I updated GEOS makefile.vc and project
>> files for Visual C++ 2005 [1].
>> I can confirm GEOS builds on Windows using VC++ compiler.
>
> Hmmm that is a bit of a pain. Last time I checked, the free version of
> the VC++ compiler does not allow you to distribute the resulting
> executables which would cause problems generating the Win32 installers.

First free compiler from Microsoft was Visual C++ 2003 Toolkit.
Now, it's been replaced with Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/visualc/aa336490.aspx

And there wasn't any such limitation for the previous version
as well as there is no such limitation for current
version of free Visual C++:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/support/faq/

"4. Can I use Express Editions for commercial use?

Yes, there are no licensing restrictions for applications
built using the Express Editions."

> Is there any possible way that the inlines could be fixed to work under
> MingW?

I can't see reason it shouldn't as GCC on Unix works very well
with GEOS.

>> [1] Project files for Visual C++ 2005 are new stuff and available
>> in build\msvc80 directory.
>
> AFAICT the build/ directory, although present in SVN, is not present in
> the geos-3.0.0rc3.tar.bz2 release archive.

Yes, it's in SVN.

Cheers
--
Mateusz Loskot