[postgis-users] My questions

ike onukwu nyemike83 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 18 02:17:03 PST 2006

Hello,
  My name is Onukwu Nyemike. You can call me Nyemike. I am a Nigerian and I just finished my undergraduate program. I studied Surveying & Geoinformatics Engineering at University of Lagos. I want to build a career in GIS application development in Nigeria. I found ESRI's developer tools to be very powerful but too expensive to purchase. I was fortunate to discover your open source GIS solution (PostGIS). My questions are as follows:

  1. is the PostGIS programmer's API sufficient enough to develop a client application or do I need to combine it with other API's such as  JUMP or Geotools.

  2. If I have to use another API in conjunction with PostGIS, which API do you recommend?

  3. I have not been able to locate the javadoc for the JDBC extension objects in my PostGIS installation. I installed version 1.1.6.

  4. I have basic understanding of the java language. I am about to study JDBC. Do you recommend I learn how to use PostgreSQL first or learn both at the same time?  Also, do I need to learn JDBC with PostGreSQL first before learning how to use the JDBC extension objects?

  5.  At the moment, PostGIS only extends PostGreSQL Does it supports other DBMS like Oracle and MySql? If not, are they plans to support these DBMS solutions in the future?

  6. Do you know any on-line material for PostGreSQL? I have searched without any success.

       Lastly, I want to thank all of you for the remarkable work you are doing.

                                                                                                        Yours faithfully
                                                                                                         Nyemike

http://mail.yahoo.com