[postgis-users] Error running lwpostgis.sql

Marshall, Steve smarshall at wsi.com
Sat Dec 30 07:56:58 PST 2006

The 8.2 version of postgresql requires a "magic block" to be added to all plugin libraries.  This ensures that you don't compile a plugin library with one version of postgresql, then load it into an incompatible version.

The magic block feature is new in 8.2, and did not exist in earlier versions of postgresql.  I'm not sure if PostGIS 1.2 has support for adding a magic block (it seems from your error like it does not), so PostGIS 1.2 may be incompatible with PostgreSQL 8.2.

You probably will need to either upgrade PostGIS or downgrade PostgreSQL.  For easiest upgrade, look for a version in the 1.x lineage of PostGIS that touts support for PostgreSQL 8.2.

Steve