[postgis-users] Error running lwpostgis.sql

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at ilande.co.uk
Sat Dec 30 08:36:27 PST 2006

On Sat, 2006-12-30 at 10:56 -0500, Marshall, Steve wrote:
> The 8.2 version of postgresql requires a "magic block" to be added to all plugin libraries.  This ensures that you don't compile a plugin library with one version of postgresql, then load it into an incompatible version.
>
> The magic block feature is new in 8.2, and did not exist in earlier versions of postgresql.  I'm not sure if PostGIS 1.2 has support for adding a magic block (it seems from your error like it does not), so PostGIS 1.2 may be incompatible with PostgreSQL 8.2.
>
> You probably will need to either upgrade PostGIS or downgrade PostgreSQL.  For easiest upgrade, look for a version in the 1.x lineage of PostGIS that touts support for PostgreSQL 8.2.
>
> Steve

Hi Steve,

PostGIS 1.2.0 does support the PostgreSQL 8.2 magic block, and has done
since May 2006 - see
http://svn.refractions.net/postgis/tags/1.2.0/lwgeom/lwgeom_pg.c for the
exact code. The PG_MODULE_MAGIC should be set by including the
postgresql header file "fmgr.h", so it's most likely that there is more
than one installation of the PostgreSQL headers on the machine in
question, and configure is somehow finding the wrong one :(

Kind regards,

Mark.