[postgis-users] Re: Ruby/PostGIS

Charlie Savage cfis at interserv.com
Thu Feb 2 01:20:03 PST 2006

Two approaches you could take:

1.  Use geos.  You'll see the latest head version of GEOS now comes with
Ruby SWIG bindings that strk and I have been working on.  This is what
I've been doing and its in pretty good shape.

2.  Use ogr (in the gdal project).  There was a lot of work put into the
SWIG bindings last fall, and they are in good shape for OGR and OSR.

You'll also have to modify the low-level internals of active record and
the pg connection class.  The issue is that at the very bottom active
record has a big switch statement that tries to figure out the returned
column type (i.e., string, float, date, etc.).  Unfortunately there is
no way to register a custom type - so you'll have to override the
appropriate methods.

Thanks,

Charlie