[postgis-users] Re: [DebianGIS] PostGIS status for debian unstable

Markus Schaber schabi at logix-tt.com
Thu Feb 2 05:57:26 PST 2006

Hi, Alex,

alex bodnaru wrote:

> one of those wonderful upstream sources is postgis, which is being
> supported for every postgresql since 7.2 (available and tested on
> woody). they also do support the original postgis 0.9 for all servers. i
> personnaly know of debian users of all those features.

Yes, but they use it using backports.org, self-compiled packages or some
other source.

So for official Debian, you only have to support Postgis 1.X on
PostgreSQL 8.1 - and as the update from 1.0 to 1.1 works without
dump/reload, you won't have to support both versions in parallel.

> during the long period between debian stable releases, postgresql
> released 8.0, now superseeded by 8.1. postgis deb will automatically
> build for the installed postgresql only. thus, the postgresql-8.0
> postgis will be built only where postgresql-8.0 exists.

That makes me wonder how you define optional build dependencies? I don't
remember a mechanism to specify "build-depends on all available
postgresql-* packages".

>>  * PostGIS should not be including multiple different major versions of
>>    the PostGIS source code and shouldn't be building old major versions
>>    using the same source package.  This is essentially insane.  If we
>>    need multiple major versions of PostGIS in Debian then they should
>>    be built from different source packages (hint: We *don't* need, or
>>    want multiple major versions of PostGIS in Debian especially since
>>    the it looks like the older version only works w/ 7.4 anyway)
>
> i don't think the 0.9 issue is been correctly expressed here, but the
> 0.9 package is separated from 1.1 and is not an issue in this letter.

I agree that PostGIS 0.9 and 1.X should be different source packages.

But I doubt the necessity to include 0.9 in main debian. The users who
fetched 0.9 from other sources will be able to fetch the 0.9
maintainance updates from those same sources. The same is true for 1.1
on 7.4 servers.

HTH,
Markus